When I first created this blog, my immediate thought was, "whatever I will just do what I need to get by in this class and do the blogs assigned to me." I had little to no desire on being, what my friends and I like to call, a "blogger." However, one day I felt like expressing my heavy opinion and, being such an opinionated person, I instantly fed off the feedback I was getting, just on a post I did in five minutes to relief my annoying thought. After that, I developed a strong interest in blogging, discovering that my opinion, which was previously only heard by the residents in Burlington, was now broadcasted for millions of viewers around the world. With that, I do not plan on wasting my thoughts and ideas on certain topics, which is why i am going to cut to the case and express my feelings on controversial issues.
Being very opinionated, debates and arguments, all in good manner, are things I live for. Nothing makes my blood boil more then when people a). Do not have an opinion or b). Shy away from it because it is "controversial." Who decides whether things should be talked about or not? Who has that power? No one does. We live in a free country, and although Deval Patrick "wish it weren't," it is, which means we have the right of voice. So, I put this question out there, why not create a debate, why not speak up when you think what someone is doing is wrong? Living in Burlington, Massachusetts, I have very different views from most of the community, especially political ones. However standing up for my beliefs alone against many and being the best spoken and backed up one, feels awesome.
One huge issue I have no hesitation to bringing up at any time is abortion, yes abortion. I do not care where I am, when it is "appropriate" to bring up, or who it "offends." In my opinion, it is wrong, plain and simple. With that, my friend Kayla Coluci decided it was time to stand up for our opinion, just like so many other people do, and started a pro-life club here at BHS. From the start, I backed her up and helped her with anything she needed to get the club running. Just like my help started from the begining, so did the negative light people shined down on the club. According to most, this sure is not a “school appropriate club.” WHY?! It is even worse that we have teachers, let’s just saying, “fighting against it,” and acting as if we are in middle school again displaying “retaliations of pro-choice clubs.” But let’s just back up a second, when did people, especially teachers, frown upon students standing up for themselves and trying to make a difference. It’s funny when high school student become more mature than adults.
Another huge issue I strongly feel is not talked about enough is suicide. The word when brought up, gives people the immediate reaction of changing the subject or getting quiet. It is ridiculous. People who have lost loved ones due to the horrendous idea of killing oneself cannot even bring up and celebrate the once passionate person’s life. Society takes a box and puts certain words, phrases, and thoughts in it and label it as controversial. It is horrible. We all should be talking about it and changing the way people think. People who died due to feeling unwanted, unloved, and alone, are never given the respect they deserve, even after death. I can go on about issues all day, but mainly what my point is, is that it is time for people to define their voice and express their opinion. It does not matter if you are the only one, it matters if you are heard.
Hi Michelle - Thanks for sharing your feelings. I guess the only thing I would say is that I do care who I offend depending on the context of the situation. I think that if are conversations are respectful in their tone and people are still offended by my stance then I do not have a great deal of control over that.
ReplyDeleteIn regards to the pro-life club in school, I could be wrong here about my stance and the fact that I was raised as a Catholic, a religion that has no middle-ground on this issue. My feeling is that this issue quickly turns to a conversation that is based on one's religious beliefs and it falls into an area that we stay away from in public schools. Therefore I think the way I left it with the proposal was for someone to come back with some examples of public schools where they have a pro-choice club and that we would discuss it further. To date, I have seen no examples in out state. I fully encourage students to start this type of a club outside of school and to use socially media to build support, but I just don't think it belongs in a public school.
I know that your blog post is about people taking a stance, but sometimes people in positions of authority have to separate their professional and private lives from these issues. In addition, it bothers me when I am perceived as unsupportive of our students in any of their endeavors. But as you can see it is not always black and white.
Mr. Larkin, thank you so much for your comment! In the way i mean offend, i do not mean disrespectful, but the way in which people sometimes do not wish to hear things. I completely understand people have responsiblities and roles to play, but that should not set a persons opinion, in my mind. Whether in a public or private school everyone has an opinion and belief.
ReplyDeleteMichelle,
ReplyDeleteFirst thank you for your comment on my blog, awesome. Your comment brought me to your blog, which is very thoughtful and made me reflect on my own thinking. Though I disagree with your stance on abortion, I love your passion for the topic. Keep fighting the good fight. Sometimes adults forget to value young adults, even when we are teaching that very character trait in many schools.