The forgotten sport? I would love to argue for that! Starting sophomore year, i have been a member of the swimming team, and at times the ONLY member of our diving team. You may be wondering why I did not start swimming until sophomore year, especially since I am talking as if I am very upset and passionate about the attention of the sport. As a freshman, I was a football cheerleader. Yes I know I am part of that group of hated ex cheerleaders, but I could never be happier. From day one of swimming practice, I knew I found a sport I will truly enjoy. Not only do I love the actual sport and the techniques that are involved in it, the people on the team are the major reason I keep coming back for more each year. During the fall sports season, it is like I have all my best friends back again. The majority of the girls on the team do not hang out in all the same friend groups, per say. However, during our season, it is as if we have been best friends since diapers. Everyone is always there for each other and motivating girls to do their best.
With that said, you can see why I care about the recognition of the sport.
As a once cheerleader, I know the attention a sports team can get from a school, teacher, and community. That feeling is definitely not mutual across the board for all sports. For starters, we do not even have a home pool for our team. All of our practices and “home” meets are held in Billerica at a vocational high school called Shawsheen Tech. Now, I am perfectly aware of the budget we have as a school, and as a town. However it’s baffling to watch the months long project of replacing the football field with turf day after day while on my way rushing out of the school building in order to make it to practice for swimming on time in Billerica. In addition to that, every football game, along with the majority of the other sporting events I’ve been to, I distinctly notice faculty in the stands and on the sidelines. It’s funny how I do not once ever recall seeing a BHS faculty member, besides our coaches, at a meet.
The more funny thing is, however, is that the football team we have here in Burlington is not something that is very “brag worthy.” One year, one year, they ended with a more than successful season, but for the recognition and attention the sport gets they are nowhere near “successful.” I am not saying the girls swim team is amazing either, well personally yes, but skill wise we are still working. I am not trying to bash on anyone or their love for sports, I am trying to show everyone that the attention of sports in this school is nowhere near equal.
I totally agree about it being the lost sport haha. I didn't really hear about swimming until my friend Katharine joined it. I also have to vouch for cross country too though, because they are very forgotten. I play field hockey as you know, and our reputation is that we are very bad. LIES! We have 2 wins this season. I would rather be a hidden sport rather than the laughing stock of the school. It must really stink to not have a home pool and i TOTALLY agree that sports teams do not recieve the same recognition.
ReplyDeleteMichelle, I could not agree with you more. I remember freshman year the boys soccer team was supposed to come to one of our meets and we were planning on going to one of their games. It was good support and something new. The wasn't followed through unfortunately, but was a really good idea. I think we should have some sort of switch off where we can be supportive and have a good time watching other sports teams. Also, I feel as if in the school teachers are extremely supportive, but as soon as we take one step out of those doors, they couldn't care less about what we do. I know it would mean a lot to me if I saw some of their familiar faces at a few of our swim meets.
ReplyDelete